Saturday 28 February 2015

Rwanda again


Just a few days ago I posted http://landroverkaty.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/did-katy-go-to-rwanda.html

I got a reply, and after an email chat this is the summary I was sent

I saw your blog by accident whilst researching some facts about the tour of duty we did.
I was with the Infantry Unit (2 PWRR) that supported 23PFA during the deployment. I remember they had several field Ambulances with them.

We also had some 4 tonne Bedford's which were left behind and given to the local authorities. I think some vehicles were returned home afterwards either by airfreight or via boats, but cannot be sure. I suspect yours would have been returned as it was an Ambulance. 
Those dates are certainly correct for the deployment for that tour. The vehicles were likely allocated to 23 PFA from a pool on permanent 'Standby' for such Operations at the time (21 yrs ago, how time flies)

We were all in 5 Airborne Brigade at the time and went on very short notice, with summer leave cancelled and straight after 7 months in N Ireland !! It was one of those tours that wasn't really public knowledge, although the circumstances of what had happened were.

We didn't mind though as we were doing our job, and thrived on it.

For the first few weeks, The Ambulances were used in various locations, going out from our patrol bases at Cyangugu (close to the Burundi border) and Kigali (The capital) on daily convoys to various refugee camps, where aid stations were set up and many thousands of people treated. We also went to Zaire (Now The DR of Congo) several times.

Aid stations were set up daily for the first few weeks, going to the more rural locations where the medics did their bit for 3-6 hours before we packed up and returned to our base. After about a month, we only went to about 3 big refugee camps each day, each with thousands of people in. A convoy of about 6 vehicles to each camp.
I'm sure your vehicle had helped many thousands of people during that tour. They were often treated inside the ambulances. I saw some remarkable field surgery myself, and although there in an Infantry role (Protecting the medics etc etc) we were allowed to get hands on and help the medics with most things. The medics were all brilliant, as were the Royal Engineers who rebuilt schools, bridges etc etc ... 
What was the military registration number of your vehicle? I'll have a look through my photos as you never know I may have a pic !!! I'll dig them out and have a look.
I hope that gives you a slight insight into what we did out there. An interesting tour to say the least !!

It did give quite a bit of insight .. wonderful think this world wide web and I thank Justin for his input

5 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Yes, those ambulances were used in both Rwanda and Bosnia. In Rwanda, they were the preferred method of getting to work in the refugee camps, from the tea plantation, as they cut down on dust inhalation, compared to the bedfords. In Bosnia, they were at the FST in Vitez for transport jobs, mainly for UN troops but occasionally locals,

    Gray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gray, many thanks for the comment.

    I know the problems of dust from some of our over-landing which is all she does these days.

    If the comments are from personal experience, it sounds like you did some real work in some difficult places and for that you have our utmost respect

    Regards
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justin was right about some vehicles returning to the UK at the end of the tour. The majority of personnel were flown out by civi charter, on or around the 20th Nov, but some went to Kenya, I think, with a number of vehicles, which were then shipped back to the UK. I had also heard that some Bedford's were left in Rwanda.

      Hope this is helpful

      Delete
    2. I had a look at some of my Rwanda photos. I can see two ambulance registrations in the various pictures: one is 63 KG 67 and the other, a side view, of 63 KG 6?. I can's make out the last number due to the angle of the picture, which could mean it is the first vehicle again or maybe your one.

      Delete
  3. Hi Gray

    Once again many thanks for the information. I wonder if i can ask to see (or even share on here) copies of some of those pictures.

    I am happy to do any scanning (from slides or prints) and depending where you are in the country maybe even collect etc. If you are happy to share can I ask you to make contact through the contact form on the right hand side of the blog and we can discuss the next steps via private email

    regards
    Andy

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be submitted for moderation because of spammers we have to do this sorry