Saturday 7 January 2012

What a Difference 2cm Makes

A while ago I wrote about A Wheely Interesting Dilemma which came about after I bought Katy some new tyres

I had a problem with scrubbing on full lock which i knew would be an MOT failure

I had thought that it was an issue with the new tyres being wider, and so I looked into wheel spacers as I talked about in that post

With all the wonderful feedback I had from LRO and LRS, and the learning I had about wheel offsets, and information that having scrubbing wheels was an MOT failure I decided that before I did anything else I needed to get the front and rear wheels swapped to see if the more negative offset wheels made much of a difference to the steering and especially to the scrubbing, because the MOT was coming due

I have, and it does. 

The difference in offset according to my measurement of the front of the plate that is attached to the hub when measured to the plane of the front end of the rims is 2cm. I am presuming that this is reflected in the offset either fully or in part because I don't have wheels without tyres so can't make all of the measurements necessary to be definitive about this. Either the hubs are 2cm more offset or they are wider and some of this reflects in the offset.  At some time I'll have wheels without tyres and I'll try and work it out, but for now I'll just accept it

What is even better is that I've been offered some more of the wider wheels so I can get her to having all the same wheels and I don't need to worry about it in the future

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be submitted for moderation because of spammers we have to do this sorry